Blackburn hails TN ‘red wall’ against Democrats, declares U.S. Senate broken

Without actually mentioning Bob Corker by name, Marsha Blackburn got in some digs at the incumbent senator in a speech to Republicans in her home county Friday, reports The Tennessean.

“I know that the U.S. Senate is a source of frustration. It’s broken,” Blackburn told members of the Williamson County Republican Party at its annual Reagan Day dinner. “You cannot send people to the Senate who have broken it to try to fix it.”

…”If you are ready to have a senator who’s going to be a conservative, vote like a conservative, who’s ready to get rid of broken promises and indecisiveness, stand with me,” she said, later receiving a standing ovation from many in attendance.

(There was also a reference to Corker’s initial vote against federal tax reform legislation with Blackburn saying Republicans “need a U.S. senator that is going to support President Donald Trump on tax reform and not be the only no vote.”

..Corker has been reconsidering retirement, given fears among some Republicans that Blackburn could lose in a general election to former Gov. Phil Bredesen, a Democrat, in the race that is expected to draw national attention.

While the Brentwood Republican, who was the event’s keynote speaker, scoffed at the notion, a mobile billboard circling the area in the lead up to the dinner highlighted the idea.

“Marsha = Swamp. She can’t beat Bredesen. GOP make a change now!” the digital sign read.

…Blackburn — who did not mention Bredesen — spoke about Democrats trying to “short circuit” a conservative revolution taking place across the country.

“They think they can turn Tennessee blue. But they’re not even gonna turn it purple, because they are running into the red wall, and the red wall starts right here in Williamson County,” Blackburn said to loud applause.

Tennessee Star reports that Blackburn was introduced by radio talk  show host Phil Valentine, who praised the “critical role she played in stopping the introduction of an income tax to the state of Tennessee back in 2000.”

I got a call from her on a Saturday morning and she said they’re going to pass a state income tax today, you’ve got to do something. So I called the program director. We need to set up across from the capital starting at noon. I got down there about 11:30… I called Steve Gill (also a conservative talk show host at the time), and he came down.

..Within the hour, it was constant traffic. Those people stopped the income tax. And it’s all because of Marsha Blackburn, she got it started.

10 Responses to Blackburn hails TN ‘red wall’ against Democrats, declares U.S. Senate broken

• Leslie Parsley says:

Blackburn isn’t a conservative. She’s a rabid extremist whose only real loyalty is to her pocketbook. What is this red wall she is referring to? Is she really trying to emulate the most unpopular president in history? Is she going to advocate building this red wall to keep out Democrats and Independents? She forgets that they are loyal patriotic Americans and that she is required by the Constitution to represent them as well. America doesn’t need another divider. We need someone who is going to work for all the people, not just the elite and the lobbyists, someone who has genuine compassion for “those others,” and someone with the integrity to tell the truth. She talks about Congress being broken. The funny thing about that is she seems to be the Breaker-In-Chief.

Marsha’s ability to cause our liberal friends to become unhinged only endears her to me. Those who actually know what they are talking about like Heritage Action give Marsha a ladylike 83% average score over her last eight years in Congress. Conservative, but nowhere near the “rabid extremist” that I expected her to be, much to my disappointment. While the thought of “. . .building a [a] red wall to keep out Democrats and Independents” does bring a smile to my face, I don’t think a lady with an 83 voting record can be said to harbor any such unconstitutional ambitions.

I attended last night and by “red wall” she was referring to the fact that the overwhelming support the Republicans have in Tennessee has caused the once dominant Democrats to become politically almost totally irrelevant. On the other hand, “. . .the most unpopular president in history” was probably Democrat James Buchanan who I don’t believe ever really addressed himself to a “red wall” nor, to my knowledge, has Marsha ever really addressed herself to James Buchanan. If Leslie was referring to recent history, “. . .the most unpopular president. . .” was another Democrat, Jimmy Carter. I have no reason to believe Marsha wants to “emulate” him either.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings to my liberal friends but the era of Tennessee sending uninteresting Republican centrists/tepid conservatives to the U.S. Senate is about to come to an end. Trust me Leslie, Marsha will make a great U. S. Senator.

• John Stewart says:

Amen, brother, amen!

Hmm..I wonder what article in the Constitution “requires “ Marsha Blackburn to represent her liberal constituencies?

• STEVE L. says:

Red wall!! Supporting an extremely popular President Trump. Polls against Trump are “fake news”. Perhaps the very popular in Nashville Mayor Meghan Barry could run against Blackburn? Barry is the new face of the Liberal agenda in Tennessee. What day the libs)

• David Collins says:

Oh, yeah. Blackburn is going to put up a red wall–and Mexico is going to pay for it!

Marsha has not fixed The House of Representatives, why should we trust her to ‘fix’ the Senate?

• Donna Vanhorn says:

Oh Marsha, Marsha, Marsha—-counting lobbying money from NRA, Horse Soaring, etc. That dumb red wall suits you well. Like the rest of your party it divides the self serving from service to others. Just one more money munging conservative counting coins while people die from no insurance, and suffering from income inequality. I bet you are the first one in the church door embracing the rest of the charlatans