Bredesen holds first Senate campaign rally, releases TV ad

Former Gov. Phil Bredesen held his first campaign rally as a Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate in Nashville on Saturday and unveiled a 30-second TV ad as well.

Excerpt from The Tennessean report:

After a private strategy session at the downtown Hilton hotel, Bredesen and supporters followed a marching band to the Acme (Feed and Seed Co. store)  where he served chili for nearly an hour to a long line of supporters. Chili suppers were staples of his campaign stops when he ran for governor in 2002 and 2006.

“… I really want to have a really grassroots campaign,” Bredesen said. “As it gets more and more noise on TV and in the media and social media, people more and more depend on friends, fellow church members, people they meet in the grocery store and relatives for information.”

Bredesen said he felt invigorated by the gathering of supporters, “like being plugged into a 220-volt outlet.” But he also made clear that a centerpiece of his campaign is a sense of dissatisfaction with Washington, D.C. His general election opponent is all but certain to be U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Brentwood, a conservative firebrand.

In conjunction with the first major event, Bredesen’s campaign rolled out its debut television ad on Saturday. In the ad, Bredesen touted a bipartisan approach to governing, and said Tennessee needs “less partisan squabbling and more solutions.”

…While Bredesen boasts the credentials of a bipartisan moderate, he did clarify a difference between his economic policies and those of President Donald Trump, who in recent days has called for tariffs on foreign-made steel and aluminum.

Bredesen pointed to the announcement earlier this week by Electrolux that it has put a planned $250 million expansion at its Springfield plant on hold after Trump’s tariff announcement.

Note: The ad buy, which began over the weekend, cost $242,000 and will run through March 11, according to a separate Tennessean report. It will air on broadcast stations in Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Jackson, and the Tri-Cities (including Fox News).

8 Responses to Bredesen holds first Senate campaign rally, releases TV ad

Yessireee if Tennesseeans help Chuck Schumer and his ultra-liberal friends gain control of the Senate by electing Bredesen Phil thinks we will have “less partisan squabbling and more solutions.” I guess we can expect to hear this sanctimonious nonsense from Phil until November because the last thing in the world he wants to do is give the voters the slightest ideas about what policies the Democrats will advocate once they gain control of the Senate.

Would Bredesen, Unlike Marsha Blackburn, Uphold the Oath to the Constitution?

Sure, absolutely James, if you want to be a super strict constructionist and see that interpretation of the constitution be adopted by the government all you have to do is vote for Democrats and have them take over the government. Come on James, you’re teasing us, right?

I Wish Marsha Blackburn (TN Congressman running for Senate) would uphold her oath to support the constitution.
        BUT SHE DID NOT !
        She voted:
        For Patriot Act Reauthorization.
        For Patriot Act Reauthorization.2
        Against Defunding the NAIS.
        For Electronic Surveillance.
        For COPS Funding.
        For Funding the REAL ID Act (National ID).
        For Foreign Intelligence Surveillance.
        For Thought Crimes.
        For Warrantless Searches.
        For Employee Verification Program.
        Against Prohibiting Full Body Imaging Screening.
        For Patriot Act Extention.
        For Patriot Act another Extension.
        For Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA).
        Against Ending American Indefinite Detention.
        For FISA.
        For Cyber Crime Fighting
        For Countering Terrorist Radicalization Act
        For Cyberspace Intelligence Sharing.
        For National Computer Forensics Institute Authorization

I know how you feel, and you are certainly entitled to your idiosyncratic interpretation of the oath that Marsha took upon occupying the 7th District seat in the House, but PLEASE don’t even question rhetorically whether any Democrat anywhere anytime in 2018 would come closer to your ideal than any Republican when you and I know that moving from Republican to Democrat is moving in exactly the wrong direction.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Many conservatives are fed up with Establishment Republicans. If they are so worried about Chuckie Schumer and Co. taking over, then they should give us better candidates.

DONE CANNONEER 2!!!! Corker has a Heritage Action score of 63%, Marsha has a score of 83%. Mark Levin’s Conservative Review gives Corker a Lifetime Liberty Score of F(49%) while Marsha receives an B(80%). The very, very particular Club For Growth has endorsed Marsha as one of the key candidates for conservatives for the 2018 elections.

There’s your “better candidate” as established by conservative organization who pay very close attention to the voting records of members of Congress. Now fellow conservatives, I know its hard to believe but Marsha replacing Corker and Mark Green replacing Marsha is a win/win so let’s make sure we get the job done and send them both to Congress.

• Cannoneer2 says:

Got sidetracked by helping with 4th grade math homework before I could respond! I’m happy with Dr. Green replacing Marsha. I have many more reservations about Marsha replacing Corker, and for many of the same reasons as James. I appreciate the watchdog rating groups, but I prefer to do my own due diligence with a candidate when possible, with ratings from Heritage Action and others only forming a part of the decision making process. I have been able to follow Marsha’s political career since her time in the Tennessee GA, which was also a time when I worked in TN state government. On top of that, I wish that more of our political figures took to heart the example that George Washington tried to set in 1797, serving our representative Republic for a time and then returning home to a primary career other than politics. I’m under no illusions that Phil Bredesen won’t attempt Round 3 of hosing the taxpayer, as he did as Mayor and Governor, and as such, I will probably vote for Marsha in the general election if they are the only two candidates. Finally, I should point out that the electorate has delivered the Presidency, the House and Senate to the Republicans on the federal level, and Republican leadership in most state governments. Even with this we are still saddled with “leadership” that doesn’t focus on the most immediately important issues (Instead, spending time on bathroom bills for example) and hasn’t provided much help to the middle class, both here and abroad.