Fincher drops out of Senate race, urges Corker to get back in

Former U.S. Rep. Stephen Fincher (Image credit: Fincher campaign)

Former U.S. Rep. Stephen Fincher (Image credit: Fincher campaign)

Former U.S. Rep. Stephen Fincher, the gospel signing farmer from Frog Jump, is dropping out of the U.S. Senate race and urging incumbent Sen. Bob Corker to reconsider his decision not to seek a third term.

“My campaign has always been about what’s best for Tennessee,” Fincher said in a statement released Friday afternoon. “Tennessee families need a strong conservative voice in the Senate, someone who will stand with President Trump and lead the Republican Party forward.

“The party must get behind a candidate that can win in November and stop Democrat Phil Bredesen, who would be a rubber stamp for the Chuck Schumer liberal agenda,” he said. “For that reason, I believe Senator Bob Corker should continue to serve in the U.S. Senate, and stand with the president to fight for Tennessee families.”

Until Corker makes up his mind about re-joining the race, U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn is the only major Republican in the race.

“Marsha Blackburn has always been the clear favorite of Tennessee families in both the primary and general election,” said Blackburn spokeswoman Andrea Bozek. “And now Republicans can focus all of our efforts defeating Chuck Schumer’s number one recruit Phil Bredesen in November.”

Bredesen spokeswoman Alyssa Hansen said: “These candidates are campaigning like they govern in Washington — name-calling and dividing — which is why Governor Bredesen’s track-record and get-things-done attitude is resonating with Tennesseans.”

“Whether he is in Memphis or Mountain City, Governor Bredesen is making his case for getting Congress back to basics. He is in this race to be an advocate for the people of Tennessee in the Senate, not to run against anyone,” she said.

Reaction was otherwise slow to pour in on the Friday before a long weekend.

State Sen. Jack Johnson (R-Franklin):

Chris Carroll, spokesman for U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Nashville):

State Rep. William Lamberth (R-Cottontown):

7 Responses to Fincher drops out of Senate race, urges Corker to get back in

PTL!!! Some good, no GREAT news for conservatives for a change. OK, let’s stop kidding around and concentrate our minds, efforts, and resources on defeating Bredesen.

• Regina Washburn says:

Bob Corker does not stand with our President. We don’t need Bob Corker continuing his liberal agenda. I hate to think Fincher or Corker are standing for TN families. They sure don’t for most of the ones I know.

• Joanna Cash says:

Dr Toyos is the real conservative that can beat Blackburn and Bredesen. He is a surgeon and small business owner. He reminds me of Trump. He knows business and knows what our nation needs. He has my vote!

Oh Dr. Toyos! Why he can operate on me anytime because I’m sure he has the proper credentials from the State. Joanna, by the way, is he a vegetarian, libertarian, conservative, liberal, strict constructionist, loose constructionist, socialist, progressive, populist, green, federalist, anti-federalist, bimetallist. . . .

Just thought I’d ask. I think the guy is a candidate for something.

Sorry, I missed it, you indicated that he is a “real conservative.” Please tell Dr. Toyos we already have a candidate like that whose conservative record is there for all to see having served in the U. S. House of Representatives since 2003 after having served in the Tennessee State House. The candidate is Marsha Blackburn so you can thank Dr. Toyos for his willingness to serve but he can go back to his surgeries and small business because I’m sure he doesn’t want to split the conservative vote.

• Hope Foulds says:

Fincher out = good! Corker stay out = even better!!!

• Misty Pardner says:

You have a X-Factor in this equation. If Trump gives Corker the nod things go haywire.