Mae Beavers endorses Bill Lee for GOP gubernatorial nomination

Former state Sen. Mae Beavers of Mount Juliet, who abandoned a run for the Republican gubernatorial nomination earlier this year and is now running for mayor of Wilson County, has endorsed Williamson County businessman Bill Lee in the governor’s race.

Press release from Bill Lee campaign

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Today, Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Lee released the following statement in response to the endorsement of former gubernatorial candidate, Senator Mae Beavers:

“It is an honor to have the support of a Tennessee conservative leader like Mae Beavers. Maria and I got to know Mae and her husband Jerry on the campaign trail, and I know they both have a deep passion and love for Tennessee and our nation. Her leadership in the conservative movement and in the legislature is well known to all, and I am humbled and grateful to have her joining my team.”

Bill Lee is now the only candidate in the Republican Primary to have the endorsement from a former gubernatorial candidate in this election cycle. The endorsement shows the continued momentum for his campaign and shows conservatives are rallying around him as we head into early voting next month.

A Beavers comment, via Tennessee Star:

“I endorse Bill Lee because I believe he’s the true conservative in the race for governor. He has said he will clean up state government, reduce the number of departments, and he has said he will reduce the influence of lobbyists,” Beavers told The Tennessee Star in an exclusive interview Wednesday afternoon.

Further from a Beavers’ press release, via The Tennessean:

“He has displayed virtues of honesty, trust, and has been a God- fearing example,” Beavers was quoted in the release. “It is very important to me that our Tennessee conservative values are carried on.

“I have been on the front lines in our state and local governments, and I know how important it is for conservative leadership,” she said. “Like President Donald Trump, Bill Lee is ready to come in from the outside, and take on the permanent political class in Nashville.”

20 Responses to Mae Beavers endorses Bill Lee for GOP gubernatorial nomination

• Lance Persson says:

Way to go Mae. Hope Tennesseans don’t get misled by all the misleading TV ads the others are paying to have run.

Yes, even though Mae voted for an Article V Constitutional convention, and I would never vote for her; I do see Bill Lee as probably the best republican for governor so far. Not liking his Term Limits for the legislature (and he will not have much of a say on that, since it will not happen), but so far he is looking . . . OK.

Of course you do! He is a No Record Candidate so you can’t find any votes that he cast that you don’t like. You love people, but just at the time of birth, it’s all downhill from there.

All of the current members of the Legislature or Executive branch at one time were a No Record Candidate. Even Image Consultant Marsha Blackburn.

Not true! Let’s be clear, by “No Record Candidate” I mean; NO RECORD of holding an elective office, NO RECORD of advocating for conservative causes or conservative candidates, and NO RECORD of significant contributions to conservative candidates.

Before first running for office in 1992 Marsha held office in the Williamson County Republican Party, and she was very active in supporting conservative Republican causes and candidates. Today I am supporting Rebecca Burke for 61st District Representative. There are few active conservatives in the District who don’t know Rebecca because she is an outspoken conservative activist. On the other hand, the only thing political that Lee ever did was whine for a tax break for his company in front of the Williamson County Commission. HE IS YOUR NO RECORD CANDIDATE!

Office in a party is not the same as a LAW making Legislative branch. That is My No Record Candidate meaning.
            Oh, I think Lee is right about tax breaks, WE ALL Need them !

• benton temple says:

Rebecca Burke is NOT a conservative. She’s a POPULIST. Big difference between the two. She’s also despised in conservative politics because she is so NASTY in her demeanor towards others.

You are right James about tax breaks. We just got a large tax break provided by Donald Trump and a Republican Congress. The man you are de facto supporting, Phil Bredesen is opposed to those tax cuts. You go ahead and keep telling us there is not a dime’s worth of difference between the parties, and then go ahead and give some of your additional hard earned money to the New Democratic majority in Congress when taxes are raised.

• Bob Fischer says:

You may have gotten a large tax break from Trump, but me and over 98% of WORKING Tennesseans got a bait and switch pulled on us and had our taxes raised after a bone was thrown our way. When a Democrat raises taxes, working people pay less, when a Republican lowers taxes, working people pay more.

• Bob Miles says:

Bill Lee has been hoping for this. He’s probably been in talks with Mae about it.

• Dal ANDREW says:

I am confident that the ‘Grande Dame’ of Tennessee Conservatism did not make this endorsement lightly and only after careful evaluation of which candidate would govern most conservatively.

• Donna Locke says:

Diane Black is the way to go.

• Donna Locke says:

Unless you want someone who feels they’ve been called to the ministry and can’t bring themselves to enforce immigration laws or sign related bills the legislature has passed. Haslam did the hawk talk, too, remember.

Diane Black, Marsha Blackburn, and Scott DesJarlais have At ratings in Congress from NumbersUSA, an immigration enforcement and reduction org. They are only congresspeople with that rating in the Tennessee delegation. They are not perfect, however, and NumbersUSA supports the DACA amnesty if we can get the tough measures for enforcement and reduction in exchange. Many of us feel it is a mistake to support any amnesty.

• Donna Locke says:

Should be “the only congresspeople” in my comment above.

Then WHY are Diane and Marsha cosponsoring a bill to grant Amnesty to Illegals ?

• Donna Locke says:

James, they took their cues from the immigration-enforcement orgs, Trump, and polls that show many Americans are okay with the DACA amnesty. These polls are like many in which the real consequences of an action are not known to or considered by the respondents.

Trump is not reliable on immigration. We would have been better off with Ted Cruz.

• Bob Fischer says:

The role of Congress is defined in Article 1 section 8 as follows “To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;”.

The role of Congress is not to deny entry and access to citizenship, the role of Congress is to establish uniform rules of naturalization.

• Kay White says:

I spoke with Mae at a recent dinner and she told me that Bill had spoken with her and that she, at that time, was not making a commitment because she had asked him some specific questions and he did not answer those to her specifications. She also commented that she did not feel this would be wise in her own race because many of her constituents were split in their support for the different candidates. I told her that I understood that and she could risk votes by endorsing anyone. I did not and would not have asked her to endorse me because I would feel the same way about anyone that I cared about because to endorse a particular candidate is you are running yourself or a member of your household is running and in Mae’s case – both she and her husband is running – that is automatically abandons those who may care for you but for the one you endorse they may not share the same feelings. I hope that she thought this through and i am sure that she did. Mae and Jerry are good people in many ways and as in any county, we each have others who do not agree with us. I know Donna Locke and she is a friend of mine and a fellow realtor. She has a wonderful son and had a wonderful husband whose life was taken when he was putting out signs for a state representative. So sad! Mae Beavers does not try to cover her great dislike for Diane Black and I am sure that she knew enough about Beth Harwell’s actions as speaker that she would never have considered her. An immediate turn off for Randy Boyd to Mae and many others is his close ties to Governor Haslam. I would not have been on her consideration list either since I started to work for Mae but resigned after seeing some people’s actions (not Mae but a team member) that I did not agree with in her campaign and decided that I would run myself – however, Mae was the most conservative person running until I got in and I felt in our beliefs we were equal. Mae knows that I do not have the money that Lee and others have, nor do I have the experience. I do however have a background of getting out on the road for many years and working for many many years to help Conservatives be elected in our state. My husband and I also have a history of contributions and purchasing full page ads to help those we believe in to carry their torch! I, like Mae, was a delegate for Trump and I was the campaign director for East TN for Trump and no one else running can make claim to those two attributes! I care about all the other candidates and this “high schoolish” behavior of who likes (or does not like) who is not important to me. I am a vessel being used by a higher power to inform the people of TN about the things that our present administration has not addressed and the wrongs he has created in our state. Disagreeing with others does not or should not mean that we are right and they are wrong, it is simply people who think differently. However, everyone should remain friends and be forgiving one of the other. In the end, we ALL need to stick together. Remember, never to put anyone on a pedestal because when they fall the fall is hard and true nature is always exposed! Good luck to Donna’s son who is running in a race, he is a fine young man.

• Donna Locke says:

Kay, if you’re referring to me here, I’m not the Donna Locke you’re thinking of. I’m the one always commenting about immigration, and some other stuff. Thanks for helping Trump. Any day Hillary is not president (again) is a good day.

• Bob Fischer says:

I heard Bill Lee’s ad today. Looks to me like there’s going to be a dogfight for the stupid person vote in the Republican primary.