Nashville mayor acknowledges extramarital affair

Press release from Nashville mayor’s office

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (January 31, 2018) – Mayor Megan Barry has released the following statement regarding an extramarital affair:

“Today, I have acknowledged publicly that I have engaged in an extramarital affair with the former head of my security detail.

“I accept full responsibility for the pain I have caused my family and his.  I am so sorry to my husband Bruce, who has stood by me in my darkest moments and remains committed to our marriage, just as I am committed to repairing the damage I have done.

“I also must apologize to the people of Nashville who elected me to serve as your mayor. I knew my actions could cause damage to my office and the ones I loved, but I did it anyway. I must hold myself to the highest standard of which the voters deserve to expect.  Please know that I’m disappointed in myself but also understand that I’m a human and that I made a mistake.

“In 2015, I was elected to serve as Mayor of Nashville on a platform that included building more affordable housing, improving public education, and promoting better transportation options. We have made progress on these fronts – but there is more to be done. While I regret any distractions that will be caused by my actions, I remain firmly committed to working hard to serve the people of Nashville now and into the future.

“God will forgive me, but the people of Nashville don’t have to. In the weeks and months to come, I will work hard to earn your forgiveness and earn back your trust.”

12 Responses to Nashville mayor acknowledges extramarital affair

• Ed Smith says:

Touching. Very touching.
    Wonder if she or her speechwriter wrote this. There is the world of sexual anything goes and countless self sustaining lies. In this slippery world to ask for forgiveness puts a quick end to it. WELCOME TO THIS SHADY CLUB MADAM MAYOR.
    But in the rest of the public where you are expected to tell the truth AND live and work with integrity it’s not so easy and quick. What decisions have you made, reimbursed trips taken, and city funds spent because of your lie?
    What is your plan to reimburse the city for it’s money which you “stole?”
    I hate it when any public official is a terrible moral example for our children and trusting citizens.

• Leslie Parsley says:

Why on earth would we not forgive her? We are all human and we all make mistakes when we’re under duress – mistakes that we might not make during more normal times. It takes a lot of courage to admit to something like this and to say you’re sorry. Not many public leaders have that kind of courage or moral integrity. I wish the mayor and her husband all the luck in the world and also I hope that she can learn to forgive herself.

• John Patterson says:

Just like most people in positions of authority – – she’s only sorry she got caught!

• Misty Partner says:

Get in front of it Mayor. I went to this woman’s reception Monday night and she was living a lie right in front of us. Never again Mayor.

• R Brown says:

Lord knows none of us are perfect, but I want to know if she was having an affair on Davidson’s County”s dime? How much is this costing the taxpayers?

I hope this doesn’t hurt her with the Democratic Party’s base.

• Leslie Parsley says:

When you moralistic fright wingers do something about that serial sex abuser in the White House, then you can criticize a woman who may have used bad judgement on one occasion.

• R Brown says:

Hmmmm. how quick the left forgets about Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton. Not to mention Hilliary going after all of Bill’s rape victims. Give me a break.

• R Brown says:

Of course then there is the shining star of the Nashville Democrat party, Bill Boner, who announced his engagement to his third wife on Phil Donahue while still married to his second wife while also discussing the length of his sexual prowess on national TV. Made us all proud! Again. Give me a break.