Protesters disrupt Roe campaign event; he vows to ‘bury’ Democrats

Over a dozen people protesting President Trump’s immigration policies “crashed” U.S. Rep. Phil Roe’s official announcement of his re-election campaign Monday, reports the Johnson City Press. One of them was a Democrat seeking her party’s nomination for the 1st Congressional seat. Roe subsequently told supporters he wants to “bury” Democrats in November.

The newspaper has two stories on Roe, one focused on the protest at his kickoff rally and the other on a speech Roe delivered later to a Republican group.

From the speech story:

“I’ve got a confession to make,” Roe told the more than 100 who attended the first meeting of the East Tennessee Republican Club at the Carnegie Hotel in Johnson City. “I’ve got a little redneck in me. They (Democrats) have made me want to work even harder. I want to bury them.”

Roe told Republicans their hospitality was much different from the reception he received from protesters who showed up at his re-election campaign’s official kickoff at the Municipal and Safety Building just an hour before. Members of that group, who were there to protest President Trump’s immigration policies, included Dr. Marty Olsen, a Democrat running for the 1st Congressional District seat in November.

“The left is fired up,” Roe told the GOP club. “The police chief had to walk me out. That’s the nonsense we’re having to put up with.”

Roe — who will face several challengers in the GOP primary on Aug. 2 — said he is now feeling more “optimistic” about his party’s success in the midterm congressional races than he did four months ago.

“I’m feeling a whole lot better about this election, and the reason is our policies are winning and the American people are seeing that,” he said.

Even so, Roe said U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, a Republican who is expected to face former Gov. Phil Bredesen, a Democrat, in the Nov. 6 election for U.S. Senate, has a “very difficult race” in front of her. He said that is why it’s important that Republicans in Tennessee go to the polls in November.

From the protest story:

There was a “tense exchange” between a protester who asked Roe about separation of parents from their children at the U.S. border with Mexico. Roe replied that he and other congressmen would meet with Trump to discuss immigration matters Tuesday.

As aides began hurriedly pushing the congressman towards the door, the protester asked, “What is your stance?”

“I think what we have to do … it’s a long, detailed discussion. We’re going to meet with the president and you should see something from my office really soon,” Roe said.

“Well, I want to know what your thoughts are right now, with children being put in cages. Children being separated by their families,” the woman demonstrator responded as Roe quietly made his exit and one of his supporters began singing “God Bless America.”

In the Johnson City police chief’s office, Roe provided a more detailed response to local media, saying the “optics of it are not good,” but he ultimately invoked Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ stance that the separation of child from parent at the border is part of “enforcing the law.”

“(The previous two administrations) did not enforce the law. The way it is now, if you get arrested here in this country, we have to find someplace to put your child,” Roe said.

“I mean we’re not treating a person who comes into the country illegally any different than if you are someone that the Johnson City police or the Washington County Sheriff’s Office arrests and takes down to the jail and interns them. They’re separated from their families then.

“So, I think that’s the message that we’re getting is ‘We want to get a solution.’ Basically, a bipartisan solution. It needs to be, but we’re going to pass immigration reform (in the House). I feel fairly confident. I think this week.”

11 Responses to Protesters disrupt Roe campaign event; he vows to ‘bury’ Democrats

Send ALL Illegals Back.

• Linda says:

I’m right there with you! We don’t want them, we don’t need them, and I’m sick of having taxes raised locally to fund the education for people who refuse to speak English at home for the benefit of their children.

SEND THEM ALL BACK!!!!

Poor Phil with his anemic Heritage rating of 65% – worst Tennessee House Republican (though Fleischmann (69%) is running him one hell of a race). This isn’t that complicated Phil. The Democrats want votes from a new electorate and business wants low wages from new workers while this country is slowly but surely transformed into a third-world hell hole so they will yank us around every which way until they get it.

BUILD THE WALL – END OF PROBLEM, and make that a small door Mr. President, a very small door in that wall until we can assimilate those already here. Oh, by the way, this is your last term Phil, isn’t it? Please Phil!

• Silence Dogood says:

This is a cultural war between socialists who hate this country and constitutionalist that love this country. Roe has made all of us victims of his lukewarm conservatism. Thanks, Phil. NOT!!

• Norma Shirk says:

Every person in this country is descended from brave souls who left their country of origin for economic opportunity, religious freedom or for safety from local wars and tyranny. Each group of those brave souls were also attacked when they arrived because they were different from the people already here. The descendants of those brave souls now want to ban others from our country. The irony is so thick it’s ludicrous.

I believe it was Mark Steyn who called this “The Sentimentalization of Public Policy.” To analogize the economic and demographic conditions that were present in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries to the conditions present today is sheer mindlessness. The bleeding hearts will be the death of us yet if we don’t approach public policy with a good amount of intellectual rigor and common sense.

• Linda says:

I take it that you are NOT a student of American History. Many generations and a few wars ago, immigrants were hard-working people with skills and they did not come here to immediately have an “American” baby so they could sign up for free stuff. The ones who come now are only capable of getting by two ways: (1) they do lawn work or some other type of unskilled labor or (2) they take the free stuff that having babies entitles them to sign up for–if you haven’t been to a Social Security office recently, you should visit one and count how many couples who don’t speak English are there with their newly born infant ready to get their gravy train started.

SEND THEM ALL BACK!!!

• Donna Locke says:

Norma, when my ancestors came here in the 1700s or before, this country was not a welfare state. Immigration is now a welfare program. Mass immigration and a welfare nation do not mix well. The host collapses eventually. I know this is difficult for liberals to absorb, because they can’t do math. Are you planning to be dead by then so you don’t have to worry about it? My youngest grandchild is 5. I have enough regard for him that I don’t want him living in a trashed mess of a country in his lifetime.

• Linda says:

My above comment was for Norma Shirk.

• Barbara says:

I’d really love to bus some of the bigots above to a foreign country where they don’t speak a word or understand a word being said. Let them also be on that bus because their country is war torn and their very lives are being threatened. Then, while they are traumatized, grieving the loss of their families, let someone shout in their face that they should be speaking Polish, or German, or Arabic, whatever language that country speaks. The sad thing is, those who commented above probably also view themselves as “Christian,” yet their views, cruelty and hostility are the furthest thing from the teachings of Christ . . .who was a refugee himself. Unless you are a Native American, you too are an immigrant. Borders are man made, not ordained by God. Do us all a favor and make an effort to learn about the conditions facing the people who come here SEEKING ASYLUM, which isn’t illegal at all. Stop buying into the GOP propaganda and do some critical THINKING.

• Harold says:

You are deficient in critical thinking skills.
    How many illegals outside every day mowing lawns, doing construction work. RINO’s want cheap labor radicalized American
    hating democrats want more voters.
    As a college student paid tuition mowing lawns