State Rep. Micah Van Huss has rejected a request to “dialog” with a group that criticized his Facebook posting declaring the Confederate battle flag a “symbol of freedom” and that the Ku Klux Klan and Black Lives Matter are both “racist hate groups.” Instead, reports the Johnson City Press, the Washington County Republican “doubled down” on his previous remarks.

In a press release, Women Matter Northeast Tennessee – which has former Johnson City Mayor Mickii Carter as its vice chair – said Van Huss “not only failed to condemn those acts of terrorism in Charlottesville, he failed to acknowledge the value of the human lives that were lost and to express sympathy or condolences to the families and loved ones of those murdered in Charlottesville.”

The group said it was inviting Van Huss to engage “in a conversation that includes these issues” and called on him to “work to ensure every person in District 6 of Washington County be equally represented by him regardless of their race, sexuality, or beliefs.”

Van Huss’ response to the group’s invitation and criticisms was clear. He said he would not join the local women’s rights group in any endeavor, partly due to the fact that the group is aligned with the Democratic Party and devote much of their work to reproductive rights.

“I will not stand with an organization that is for the murdering of babies,” Van Huss said. “If they don’t like my comments, don’t read my Facebook page.”

…Van Huss said his comparison of Black Lives Matter to such groups as the KKK is not an exaggeration, citing such militant chants made by Black Lives Matter activists as “Pigs in a blanket, fry ‘em like bacon!” To Van Huss, this is one of the reasons Black Lives Matter should be considered a hate group.

He also said he disagrees with the notion that the Civil War was over slavery, calling it a “false narrative.” When asked why so many people of color seem to have contempt for figures such as Robert E. Lee and the battle flag which he fought under, he said, “I don’t know that I’m experienced enough to answer that.”

Van Huss said the Civil War was a noble fight for states’ rights. In his view, the flag of the Confederacy symbolizes freedom.

“Just as the United States declared independence from Britain in response to a repressive government, the Confederate States declared independence from the United States in response to an oppressive and overreaching federal government. The Stars and Stripes, to me, is a symbol of freedom. In the same way, the Stars and Bars also symbolizes to me freedom from an oppressive government,” Van Huss said.

Note: An item on Van Huss’ initial remarks was included in a previous roundup of reports on Civil War memorial matters, HERE.

10 Responses to Rep. Van Huss ‘doubles down’ in praise of Confederate battle flag, bashing Black Lives Matter

• Mike Jones says:

Van Huss is a disgrace. Showed up at my door holding a Bible and asked for my vote. I shut the door in his face. Seperation of Church and Sate is very important in my opinion.

• Richard Phelps says:

Van huss is a uninformed true bellever in his own false facts. So sad he was reelected.

• Linda says:

Rep. Van Huss, the majority of Tennesseans stand with you! All lives matter!

• Ann says:

“Representative” (who doesn’t represent the majority of his constituents) Van Huss is an example of ignorant Tennesseans and makes it clear why the state ranks so low in education.

In 2014 Micah Van Huss won the Republican Primary with 56% of the vote and the Democrats didn’t bother to challenge him in the general election. In 2016 he was not challenged in the Republican Primary and he handily won the general election with 72.8% of the vote.

Despite these results Ann states that Rep. Van Huss “doesn’t represent the majority of his constituents.” At the very least Ann’s reply calls into her judgement as to who is ignorant and who is learned and does nothing whatsoever to improve the reputation of Tennessee education.

• William says:

Learn how to spell judgment before you call someone ignorant.

William,

(1) Get a dictionary for grown-ups and you will find that “judgement” is acceptable so it isn’t caught by whatever spellcheck Tom Humphrey has chosen to use.
          (2) Please go back and s-l-o-w-l-y read my post and you find that I (a) carelessly omitted the word “question” as in “. . .calls into question her judgement. . .” and (b) I didn’t call anyone ignorant rather I called into question her judgement.

Otherwise, your reply was a welcome addition to this discussion.

• Ann says:

Since he won’t address “local women’s rights group in any endeavor,” then he is not representing the majority of his constituents (women!).

If there is a candidate in only one race (Republican), the percentage of winning is rather meaningless because there is no competition.

Rep. Van Huss for Congress or at least the State Senate. He’s an outspoken patriot who is simply too good to be confined to the 6th District in East Tennessee.

• Steve Taylor says:

Van Huss is spot on, he is my representative, and he represents the 6th district very well. These other folks need to go back to school.